Friday, December 08, 2006

INTRODUCING JOHN LEMIRE!

John Lemire is one of our new full time faculty in the GPS program. I interviewed him recently so I could introduce him to you! He is a wonderful asset to the Health Administration Programs at St. Joseph’s College! Many of you may already know John because you have taken courses with him.

T: How long have you worked with SJC/GPS?

John: I'm not entirely sure but I think somewhere around 6 years.

T: Where did you obtain your education?
John: I earned a BS, Education from Worcester (MA) State College many (MANY) years ago. More recently (at least within this half century), I earned an MBA from Thomas College and completed All But Dissertation (ABD) for a PhD this past summer from Touro University International but have 'converted' that into a second MBA, Advanced Studies rather than invest another 2-3 years in Dissertation research.

T: What is your experience in health care?
John: Other than the fact I've negotiated health insurance programs with third-part providers for my last employer (beginning as a fully-insured indemnity program to a minimum-premium, partial self-funding to a full self-insured program AND helping resolve employee claims issues, my only familiarization with health care is a continuing list of chronic ailments which regularly bring me in contact with health care professionals. Actually, the courses I teach are 'administrative' and regardless of whether health care, manufacturing or whatever, core business concepts are the same.

T: What courses have you taught or developed?
John: I have developed and taught courses for Thomas College and Southern New Hampshire University in a traditional classroom setting and also online instruction. I have also taught for the University of Phoenix in their online programs.

For Saint Joseph’s College & St. Matthew’s University College of Medicine (in-class and distance education) I have developed and/or taught the following courses:
Organizational Effectiveness in Healthcare (graduate)
Organizational Theory & Behavior (graduate)
Human Resource Management (graduate Distance Ed tutorial)
U.S. Health Care Systems (graduate Distance Ed)
Developed/redeveloped and teaching a new course(s)
– Quality Improvement & Performance in Health Care (graduate – all modalities – including WebCT)
– Practice Management
– Special Topics in Risk Management
– Special Topics: Dealing with Quality, Cost & Consumerism in Health Care
– Strategic Management in Health Care
– Health Care Marketing


T: What courses are you currently teaching?
John: I am currently teaching courses in the traditional class for the SJC/St. Matthews program as well as teaching online courses for SJC in HA 500 – U.S. Health Care Systems and HA 512 – Quality Management & Performance Improvement.

T: What do you see as the three highest priority items in health care in the U.S.?
John:
1. Educating patients to the fact they are 'consumers of health care'.
2. Educating doctors to understand that they are 'running a business' and their customers are not only patients but are also 'consumers of health care'.
3. Getting everyone to understand the importance of strategic management – i.e., optimizing long term plans for delivery of services at reasonable fees.

T: What do you do for fun?
John: Other than the fact that I truly enjoy facilitating learning and devote (quite literally) 7 days a week to teaching an average of 8 courses at any given time (between traditional and online classes),in my 'free time' I read, watch movies and have finally gotten back to making sailing ship models. Occasionally, I manage to take in a concert or play. I can 'say', without hesitation that in my professional career spanning four decades, I have never worked with a nicer bunch of people than the staff and faculty at SJC!

If you would like to contact John Lemire directly, you may e-mail him at jlemire@sjcme.edu.

No comments: